Thursday, September 11, 2008

It's time!!!

So we've made it, and here it is OPENING NIGHT!!

I am so frigging excited, and although I haven't had much time to blog, so much has happened!!

Okay, so I'm gonna go back and start from the last time I blogged...

I had been battling with the whole Where Do I Go segment and truly I was wondering where to go. The cast all decided on a certain night it would be the first 'clothes-taking-off day'. So we get to that particular part and I'm like "Is this a set up? Am I going to be the only one stripping?" And I can't really look up during that scene to see if anyone else is doing it, cause then I'd look like some crazy pervert trying to get a peek! So I'm on the floor looking at the ceiling and the light that's appears to be beaming directly on me, wondering if I'm going to do it...

Okay, so now time is running out. Piss or get off the pot! "OKAY FINE!!", I yelled at myself. Start removing some stuff, girl! You're free, right?! So 'beads, flowers, freedom, happiness...' I removed my shirt. Then I figured well maybe I'll do this in stages and by the time the show starts I'll be set! Well then the next night, I'm feeling more free. I'm on the floor in the same spot on the stage with that same light overhead contemplating my next move. 'Where do I go, follow the children...' and again time is running out. Okay, shirt? Check! Pants? Check!...Okay that's good for now! 'Beads, flowers, and a little more freedom, working towards happiness!'

Here we are again. Next night. On the floor. Light overhead. Where Do I Go. It's on! I'm going for it. Shirt? Check! Pants? Check! Bra...? CHECK! THE GIRLS ARE LOOSE! THE GIRLS ARE LOOSE! And there I am standing proudly like the women of Nigeria with my breasts beared in a pose of power! Take that! BEADS! FLOWERS! FREEDOM!!! Okay, maybe I can do this.

Then we're in 'hell week' it's Saturday and we're doing light cues. We get to Where Do I Go and I'm expecting to see some really low lights, and shadows, and such. NOT AT ALL!! The lights are not down at all, we see them, they see us! What is going on here?! Apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way because other tribe members are saying the same thing. This isn't what we expected. Okay, so now another decision. Do I still do it, although I was practicing under the pretense the light would be lower? Do I just forgo it and not do the scene at all? What about all my hard work? What about me being Freedom Child? Hmmm. Well after some contemplation I decided to go halfway. Who knows what may happen now?

Also, I HAVEN'T TOLD MY MOTHER YET! I have to warn her to let her know peepees will be flying about and the nipples will sway! I'm contemplating how/when or should I just let her be surprised? I can just imagine her sitting there and we come from under the tarp singing and being free, birthday-free. She would be okay, but she'd surely say something to me later. I am trying not to laugh, but man the thought tickles me so!

The last couple of dress rehearsals have been awesome, too. I look...everyone looks really good. I was sitting in the mirror with Ryan and I said, "It looks like I have on foundation. Man, I'm gorgeous!" and she falls out. I'm cracking up too cause I can be vain. It's not serious, though...
Then last night at final dress I decided to go diva for Scott's benefit/amusement. He tells us all we have to go out now and mingle with the crowd. I told him, "I decided I'm not going to go out there tonight. The first act is MY ACT and I don't want my public to see me before it's time!" Well he laughed first, then he turned and walked out of the dressing room because of course he wasn't worried about me going out there. I went, and I dropped some serious knowledge on those 'people' and I can't wait until I get to share with the audience!

All that to say, tonight is the night that we get this show on the road. I'm so excited! I'm so excited! I'm so...scared! -Jessica Spano

...until next time

2 comments:

Scott Miller said...

The lights are way dimmer than you think they are, girl...

Trisha Bakula said...

He's totally right. The lights are way dim and shadowy... You just keep focus on those little twinkling "stars" up in the booth... and by this I do not mean my nipples. :0)