Friday, August 1, 2008

What have I gotten myself into...

Okay, so here I am. We're a couple weeks in and I'm really learning a lot. But what have I taken on?!

First off, the music. There are eight hundred and fifty seven songs in this show, or well make that eight hundred and fifty six; we're not doing Hippie Life. Learning them have been both fun and challenging. It was so funny, at one of our music rehearsals, Scott, our amazing artistic director and music instructor is teaching parts. I'm concentrating hard, I'm listening with everything I got, and when he finishes I'm like 'huh?'. None of it is sticking. I shake my head vigorously to loosen up the retaining muscle, to allow things to absorb and gel, and say 'okay, play it again.' He plays it again and I say then '...okay' and I'm like cracking up! Well, I'm happy to say, it's been a few days and I got a pretty good chunk of it! Look out folks!

Also, we've been checking out dvds and documentaries and reading books about the 60's. I'm thinking like WOW this is a lot of prep work. But this is so important. And with our country seeming to be at a transitory period and with there being so many similarities between 1968 and 2008 it seems a little 'set in the stars' that we're doing this show now. I am glad to be a part of it. I just hope I do it justice. It seems like so much is riding on it... MAN, WHAT DID I GET MYSELF INTO?!

...until next time

2 comments:

Scott Miller said...

It's wonderful to have you along for the ride, Talichia! Just hang on! :)

Sherry Wright-Gully said...

Best wishes to you Talichia. You are very good. Don't worry you will do just fine.

Sherry Wright-Gully